Monday, July 19, 2010

Looking Forward

We are still in a state of uncertainty around here. Nat's job search continues with some disappointments and some promising interviews in the next month. In the meantime, we are trying to decide what to do with the lag time between when our lease ends here and when we anticipate Nat will be starting his next gig. It is made more complicated by the fact that Nat's current postdoctoral position ends a month after our lease is up. It's a constant discussion of all our options and, to be honest, it is an exhausting one because we don't quite have all the pieces to make this puzzle work. My dear sister Emily keeps reassuring me that the most "elegant" solution will present itself soon.

I really have full confidence that one of these upcoming opportunities will work out. The few months down the road future isn't really concerning to me it's the month down the road that has me stressed out. I open my front door each morning hoping to find a ball of curious workmanship to tell me where to go next. So far, no luck. There are just little glimpses and impressions about what isn't going to happen and plans I shouldn't make. At the end of the school year I had a very clear impression that I shouldn't make plans to move to Layton. Then a few weeks ago I had the distinct and very clear thought that the Milwaukee job that Nat just interviewed for was not in our future. Now it's just about waiting for those impressions about what we should do next to come.

So I have focused on the things that I can control right now. My house has never been cleaner, the closets have never been more organized and boy howdy I am getting good at laundry (3 loads every other day, if you were wondering). I also ran out and bought Luke and Noah new bedding this last week. It makes no sense right before a move but it does make me happier. My blood pressure goes down significantly when I walk into their room and see the darling beds. I also have been pouring over decorating blogs, thinking about the next step. One thing I am pretty excited about is this simple book sling. I can't wait to get crafting.. for now the planning will have to suffice.

I will also say that working out buys me all sorts of sanity. I learned this trick after a bout with postpartum depression after Noah. If I sweat hard every morning, the rest falls into place.

What gets you through stressful times?

4 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, how I've been thinking of you and wondering how things are going...uncertainty is very worrying, especially this lag time you have coming up. You two are so qualified for blessings, Carrie, both because of how you live and because of Nat's smarts when it comes to what he does for a living. I love Emily's word for it - something "elegant" will indeed work out soon.

I LOVE the madras bedding - I've been pouring over bedding lately, too, wanting some order in my girls' rooms. And I LOVE the book sling - I've never seen anything like it! I'll have to see if the sewing folks in my life might be willing to make one for us. ;)

Michael said...

Your situation sounds so familiar to what we have been dealing with for the last 6 months, and now that we have an answer, what we continue to deal with as we struggle to connect all the dots from point A to B. I have tried to adopt a very zen-like philosophy of just taking things a day at a time, and putting out of my mind the things I can't control, or at least the things I can't control right now, and leaving them in Heavenly Father's hands. I would say work is what gets me through--working hard on the things I can control today helps me feel much better.

So I have heard about at least one of the options and have resisted the urge to call and tell Nat how great I think it would be--mostly because it doesn't sound like it has become an actual option yet. When you're ready tongave that conversation let us know.

Ammieloris said...

Oh, frustrating. I agree that you can know that everything will work out in the long run, but even if it is a short long run, it's that in-between transition that is hard. We'll pray for you to make good decisions (about moving or leasing or not) without much information at hand.

P.S. I have that very same fabric pictured in the hanging book display tutorial. And we have a bookshelf with rods for four little hanging book "swings." I've just been waiting for our move and new decor to see how I'll gussy up this piece of furniture!

Ashley and Caleb said...

Just come and live with me, Carrie and we'll exercise and watch "Burn Notice" together. How is that for helping you get through stressful times?