Saturday, September 25, 2010

Bean Box

I have had a long term love/hate relationship with sand boxes. We had a large one on the screened in porch in Madison. Luke would spend hours at a time out there. His imagination soared. I got a ton done indoors while he played. I painted the entire kitchen (more than once, I'll admit to being fickle about wall colors) while he played out there. I loved it. What I didn't love was the sand crusted into his sweaty little boy head that never seemed to come out completely. I didn't love the feeling of stepping on sand in my house. I didn't love sweeping constantly but never quite getting all the sand. We tried again with a sand table on the deck in Maryland. Three boys and sand= someone crying with sand in their eyes, especially when one of those boys is under two years old and has a penchant for throwing. I sold the table to my neighbor.

But there was a lingering desire to provide the boys with the tactile, open ended play that sand provides. Then I came across a post on one of my favorite blogs about a bean box. It's perfect, really. Beans are cheap, non-toxic, easy to clean up and really fun to play with (they are also beautiful). We bought an under the bed storage container, some kitchen tools, added various beans and voilá!-- hours of creative fun.

All the kids love it. Ashley and I love it. My favorite activity is sorting the different beans into the ice cube tray. There is lots of measuring, sometimes cars are driven through the beans and Isaac samples a different bean every time we get it out.




5 comments:

Ashley and Caleb said...

I feel jealous that the kids get to play with the bean box. We get it out when we're busy (making dinner, etc.) so I am waiting for a time when I can sit down and sort beans into the ice cube trays. OCD fun! I love these pictures Carrie! (And not just because they are of my daughter.)

Bethany said...

I love this idea. This winter I'll have to do something similar.

Alayne said...

I hope you doin't mind me peeking in on your blog. I found it via the Gustafson's Blog :) I know we were only in the QO ward together for a while, but I love to see where everyone is and what they are up to.
Anyway, about 2 years ago I made a bean box for my son Dillon who was speech delayed. The occupational therapist suggested it and we are oh-so-glad she did. My kids LOVE it! We hide little toys in the beans and the kids love to dig for them. They love to sort and count the beans too. On rainy or snowy days we pull the bean box out for hours of fun. I even like to get in on the action :)

michele said...

Thank you for this Carrie! I plan on making one for sure.

Ammieloris said...

btw, Carrie, this bean box is fantastic.