Friday, July 15, 2011

Bubbles

When you regularly end up with nine+ children running around your house it's useful to have a few sure fire weapons in your arsenal. Making play dough is always a hit, as is sidewalk chalk. The older ones love it when I let them loose in the craft room with a few supplies. When I am feeling brave (and super patient) I let the kids cook something special with me.

We tried out a new trick this morning that will be repeated, to be sure. I have had the supplies on hand for a while and this morning when the natives were restless we tried it out. Homemade bubble solution was a hit with young and old. Though the older kids weren't thrilled with the younger ones dumping sand into the solution. Here's the recipe in case you want to try it out for yourself, which I would highly recommend.

Bubbles:
1 gallon water
2/3 cup Joy dish washing liquid
2-3 tablespoons glycerin (this is easier to find that you would think-- it's in the first aid or health care section at Walmart or Target)
These are far better than store bought bubbles. They are much stronger bubbles and you can get bigger results.

We made all the kids a little bubble blower out of yarn, which allowed for big bubbles. Eliza went around finding sandbox toys that could also be turned into bubble blowing instruments. Then they all figured out that their hands worked as well. So. fun.









No comments: