Monday, May 11, 2009

A Dragon and Knight Party

Birthday parties are one of the things I love most about being a mom. You can look here and here to see a few of our past parties. Luke never got one last year. I intended to do it after the house sold and once I wasn't puking as much. But, the Yoda cake never came to fruition. I thought all year I'd have another shot at a Star Wars party this time around. That, I am sure, is what would have happened if it hadn't been for our trip to San Diego in February and the ensuing elevation of cousin Jakob onto his pedestal. Luke adores his cousin. Adore might not do it justice-- he idolizes Jakob.

Jakob loves dragons so Luke loves dragons-- it's that simple. There was just no question about what kind of a party we would have. It started out as only a dragon party which was hard to pull off. I am glad he relented and decided that he liked knights as well.

My kind friend Heather was here and was really helpful the whole time, wrapping the sword handles with yarn for reinforcement, sorting the kid's creations into piles, serving food and just generally maintaining order. It would have been a flop without her. Thanks again, Heather.


The Dining Hall (and feast):


The Fire Breathing Dragon Cake:


Making Shields, Swords, and Crowns:

Dragon Pouches (complete with magical jewels inside):

Off to fight (or find, as the case may be) the Dragons:


Now the party talk has shifted to planning a unicorn party for Noah in six months. I have no idea where Noah came up with the idea but I am ready to run with it.

P.S. I also love a good Halloween party. When I was searching for the past birthday parties I came across this one. Makes me miss Shelley.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Carrie, that is fantastic! All of it. Love the fire-breathing dragon cake the best. I'm so glad you got to give Luke a big party this year - well done!

meg said...

Man alive Carrie. What a production.

Britt said...

What a cute party! I should have you around the next time I'm planning a b-day celebration.

Ashley and Caleb said...

Did you make that cake, Care? That is amazing. Look at those kids. It looks like they had a blast. Love it! Wanna help me with Addie's second birthday party? Maybe I'll just copy you...

Carrie said...

Yes, Ashley I made the cake. I wanted to do a green dragon but Luke insisted on red, which is just fine.

I will gladly make Addie's second cake, invitations and plan the party. I can do a good monkey cake a la Martha Stewart.

Ammieloris said...

Well, Carrie, I am not at all surprised that this party looks fantastic! I especially love the gift bags, the cake, the banners, and the apple and chicken piece banquet! LOVELY! One day, when I have a boy who can party, I'm so gonna copy you. ;)