Monday, June 1, 2009

Family

These past couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of activity and emotion over here. I purchased a last minute ticket to Utah and was there for a long weekend with family to celebrate the long and very healthy (albeit, quirky) life of my grandmother. I came home and essentially transferred the contents of my suitcase into a larger one and went to Chicago for Courtney's bridal shower. Although I was celebrating one beginning and another ending the feeling is the same-- a deep appreciation for family. I was born into a wonderful family who loved me, nurtured me and taught me who I was. I married into a family that embraced me. I owe so much to family. There's almost too much emotion to know what to do with. For now I am working on teaching my children about where they came from and who they are. Now I just need to figure out how to facilitate their relationships with these wonderful people we are related to.

I also came home from both trips with a renewed adoration for my children and a deeper appreciation for my role as their mother. I enjoy mothering more now than I ever have and this little bit of time apart has helped me to really see that.

I am seeing more pictures on the walls, a few family scrapbooks, longer bedtime chats and skype in our near future. If only I can get the laundry done and dinner on the table so that I can move on to more ambitious projects.


(Thinking about family and all the wonderful people in my life makes me think a lot about the friends who have filled in when family was too far away. My whole life has been spent far outside the safety net of extended family but I have never wanted for good people to support and love me. The same is true here in Maryland. This family, for example, has taken us under their wing and made sure that we have somewhere to be when the holidays roll around. I am deeply grateful for the ones that are here now and for all they do for me. This world is full of some pretty incredible people.)

2 comments:

Ashley and Caleb said...

We loved having you here Carrie, but we missed the boys too. Can we please please please all move onto a farm together?

Stephanie said...

Carrie,
Glad you stopped by. I love keeping up with everyone via their blogs. You have a darling family I hope you don't mind my peeking in as well.