Sunday, November 8, 2009

Family Photo and Sunday Night Thoughts

This is as good as it gets. We had a rare (for us) Sunday moment where we were able to sneak outside and have a neighbor take a family picture. I look old. I am saying that as a matter of fact rather than an invitation for you all to reassure me that I don't look like a haggard old momma. I even tried to retouch the photo and hide the eye wrinkles and the dark under eye circles, to no avail. This is just what you get-- me, tired old me. And I'm fine with it. I've earned those wrinkles and dark circles. I am trying to decide if Nat looks old too. He is still 30 after all and I am now 31. He is tired too though. He is currently falling asleep reading to the boys and it's only 7.

I keep looking at these children today and wondering how this happened. I am so often lost in the day-to-day struggle to keep the family afloat that I forget to recognize just where I am at. I am the mother to three (yikes!) healthy, bright, and beautiful boys. I have a wonderful marriage and a nearly perfect husband. It's surreal to reflect on these blessings.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Carrie, you are beautiful! Your family is also beautiful - or should I say handsome? 3 adorable little boys!

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

I love that you were able to catch a family picture in the beautiful fall weather with cozy sweaters. Liezl has halloween planned out for the next three years (in response to your question).

Emily Bell said...

How can Luke, Noah, and Isaac all look like you and look different? That must be Nat's doing, 'cause it's brilliant :).

alexandra said...

Well, you don't look old. But I know what you mean. I would not be mistaked for 25 anymore, but I feel like I am 25. I just was. It wasn't long ago and I don't feel as though I have changed . . . but there is something different, something that say I am a 30 something. And it is so weird. I have been really dissatisfied with photos of myself for the last maybe year and a half or 2 years or so, and I finally realized that it was just that I had not adjusted to how 32 looks on me.

But of course you are beautiful and always have been for as long as I have known you (which sadly is a long time--a decade!). Isn't it weird that in another decade we won't even evaluate beauty in the same way anymore? Shall I just write my own blog post about this? Apparently I have a lot to say.

alexandra said...

Uh. mistaken. that was a typo and not a grammatical error.

Ammieloris said...

Carrie, you do look smashing. I can relate to your sentiment, though. I'm 31, too, at least when I remember my age. I think I should look the same as I did eight years ago, but I can't help noticing that my skin isn't as firm, and perhaps I have more wrinkles. But, darn it, I don't mind one bit.

Now, the first thing I meant to say is you are quite a handsome, lovely family. I love this pic.

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

Lucky ducky, cubed.