My kids' serious injuries never happen when they are actually doing some of the death defying stunts they try and pull but occur instead when they are doing perfectly normal things. Luke broke his wrist while walking down the stairs at the doctor's office, Noah sliced his lip wide open while playing in the bath and, most recently, fell while balancing, very close to the ground, between the couches. He cried a little and then came over to sit on my lap. I didn't think much of it and continued typing on the computer when I looked down and noticed blood dripping from his head and a pool of blood forming on the floor. The back of his head had a gaping wound that was dripping blood and forming blood clots all in his hair. We hemmed and hawed trying to decide whether we should take him in. In the end I was glad we had called and made an appointment. It didn't stop bleeding all morning. He was an angel at urgent care while they numbed the area, and the STAPLED his head with what looked like a staple gun. I have had stitches multiple times (I was nicknamed
zipperhead for a good reason) and am pretty comfortable with the process. The staples weirded me out a little. But he's all healed up and didn't seem to notice the fact that he had metal in his scalp.
If you have a weak stomach you may not want to look at the following picture. I do not have a weak stomach (except when pregnant). But there was still something very unsettling about metal staples in my boy's head. Every time I brushed up against the back of his head with my hand I got the
heebie jeebies a little bit.

I look at this picture and wonder if this is just the beginning of the rest of my life with these active boys. Isaac certainly seems headed for
sutures with his climbing tendencies. Maybe I should just invest in my own medical stapler...
4 comments:
I sometimes wonder if a harried ER doctor somewhere ran out of thread, noticed a stapler at the nurses station and thought "Why not?"
I always thought that staples looked a little Frankenstein-ish. Sort of primitive. I'm glad Noah didn't mind.
That is pretty freakish. You can still see the staple marks in my dad's back from when he had his motorcycle accident.
As an alternative to a staple gun for you to consider, in Jen's family (apparently this is kind of a cowboy thing) they use Superglue. So you split your forehead open getting kicked by some livestock? No problem--just Superglue it (true story).
I agree with Ashley - I immediately thought of Frankenstein when you told me of Noah's staples. Of course, Noah is infinitely cuter!
The staples don't bug me but the blood in his hair does. Ü
Post a Comment