Monday, November 7, 2011

Hyrum, one month

Here is little Hyrum, at one month wearing the outfit that Luke came home from the hospital in seven and a half years ago.  It seems about right as he probably weighs as much now as Luke did when he was born. 

One month, really?  It's the old cliche-- the time has gone by so quickly but we can't remember life without him.

Life has been chugging along 'round these parts and I wanted to capture little H at this age before I forget.

He is:
  • the most engaged of all my babies.  They were all interested in faces and people but Hyrum will crane his neck around from whatever position he is in to stare at my face.  He looks and looks without blinking.  I love this about him 
  • starting to sleep, eat and stay awake in more predictable patterns.  He nurses for the last time around ten p.m. and then usually doesn't wake to eat until about two in the morning.  He then lasts until an early morning feeding and sleeps later than the other boys in the morning.  He is alert in the evening and engaged in our bedtime routine.  
  • the center of attention in the neighborhood.  I have a couple of little girl baby holders that come by as often as their moms will allow them.  They will sit and hold Hyrum for long lengths of time, allowing me to get dinner on the table, read to Isaac or pick a few things up around the house. 
  • enjoying sleeping with his little blankie up by his face.  Another required baby skill in our house is learning to love your blanket. 
  • the loudest sleeper ever.  There are nights when I am sure that I really gave birth to a little goat, judging from the sounds coming from the bassinet.  This distinction has earned him a spot in the walk-in closet-- it makes him easy to get to in the night but the clothes muffle the grunts enough to allow me to sleep through them. 
  • loving his swing. 
  • learning to love his pacifier.  It is a rule in our house-- all babies must learn to love their binkies.  I learned this lesson the hard way with Luke, who never took one and nearly drove me crazy.  
  • loving his miracle blanket.  I love looking in at my little burrito baby, sleeping soundly.  
  • gassy.  
  • plumping up well.  He is now sporting the beginnings of delightful rolls on his arms and little thighs.  
  • a great nurser.  He would stay latched on all day if I let him.  
  • interested in his brothers. 
  • loving bath time.   
  • accustomed to sleeping through a lot of noise like any good fourth child.  Let's hope he keeps this up.   
  • almost identical to his brother Noah as a newborn.  It will be fun to see what this little guy looks like in a few months.  
We sure love our little Hyrum.  

2 comments:

Ammieloris said...

Precious. Wow--a month already! And though it may be cliche, I hear ya! When you're busy with all your dear little ones, these early days are a treasure, especially as they seem to pass so quickly.

meg said...

Beautiful baby boy. Great picture.