Monday, April 13, 2009

White House Easter Egg Roll



We were fortunate enough to score tickets to the annual White House Easter Egg Roll and attended this morning. There was lots of waiting (2 1/2 hours!)-- plenty of time to observe interesting crowd dynamics. It is always amazing to me to watch the way people behave in crowded public places. One mother made her child cut in line, going under the ropes while he was crying, "but it's against the rules!" another mother tried to chew out the volunteers for not having food available. C'mon people, we're all in the same boat-- we all got our kids up early, took germy and crowded public transportation to get here, are standing in the cold and we all have to obey the rules-- make the best of it, your brat isn't any more important than the rest of 'em.

I digress.

Once inside it was really fun, well organized and quite thrilling to be a part of it (and to be honest, the line wasn't terrible-- I have to give the kids credit for their patience and obedience). I couldn't get over how close to the White House we were. It was all well worth it.

It's hard to say, but I think the Washington Monument might be my favorite part of the National Mall.


This is the actual roll. Luke is the first one on the left of the picture. He's a natural egg roller.

Would it kill Luke to smile?

The Whole Crew-- Tade, Seth, Noah and Luke

Leaving the event, commerative eggs in hand

8 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, I'm so glad you ended up with tix! The boys look so great, and yes, how thrilling to be so close to the White House!!! (And I heard Fergie was on hand to sing - did you see her??? I'm actually not even really a fan, other than for her excellent taste in good-looking husbands, but still - a celebrity appearance! ;)

Nat said...

"another mother tried to chew out the volunteers for not having food available"

This is the Obama White House, after all--95% of all attendees should have seen their net food give-aways go up.

stacyross said...

How cool that you guys got to go to that! What a neat way to celebrate your first Easter in the DC area, huh? :)

Michael said...

I can never quite gauge the level of Nat's snarkiness. Like, is that sarcasm once or twice removed (if that makes sense)? My guess is the latter...At any rate, crowds tend to bring out the worst in people, which is why I often grow frustrated with living in the large city that I do. At work the culture is such that any meeting scheduled to last more than an hour requires some kind of food and/or beverage to be served, which seems rather ridiculous. That woman should come work for us.

All that aside, this was fun to read about and these are some great pictures. I like that your family is throwing itself wholeheartedly into the experience of living in the nation's capital.

meg said...

Look at those babies at the White House! Carrie, are you making another blog book? These pictures are priceless.

Ashley and Caleb said...

Haha Nat! I love it. That is so cool that you guys got to hang out at the White House. I remember feeling so excited to go to the Inaugural Ball and it sounds silly, but it feels like you get to touch history.

Story Family said...

Alright, Carrie. I need to squirm my way into all you and Heather's fun activities. What a neat thing to do! I've got my sights on next year....

PS
Glad I found your site. I'm adding you to my list...

Liz said...

Oh I miss MD! My parents used to take us when I was a kid! How fun that you got to go! And I love the cherry blossom pictures. I need to come visit.....