Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Looking

I got an email from Marisha today. I had a conversation with Shelley while she labored. Nat brought up the idea of applying for a job in New Zealand. All this has my little heart swimming in possibilities. There are times when I miss Chicago and the people there so much it makes me ache. I long to be in Madison again, what a charmed existence we lived there. And then there's this whole family thing. I would love for my children to have a daily relationship with their cousins and grandparents. I would love to have a date with my husband while dumping my kids on someone who wouldn't consider it dumping (Heather dear is always willing-- God bless her). I need my sisters. I miss my mom (and dad). I love my in-laws. There is also a part of me that wants to flee to Samoa and live in Vaiola so my little ones can learn to cook their food in umus and we can relish that slow pace of life.
What makes it worse is that I love Maryland. It's a terribly interesting place to live, I adore my neighborhood, love the location and have treasured friends (old and new) here. I just feel torn. Nat keeps having conversations about his future with his boss and we are getting closer to decision time. It's almost to much for me to wrap my mind around. How do you make these kinds of decisions?

8 comments:

hwangberg said...

So you know I don't want you guys to move, but if you have to I would totally come visit you in New Zeland. :)

Story Family said...

What a sincere post. I feel so much the same about family and different places we've lived that a tear came to my eye.

And I'm so looking forward to our utterly NO-DUMPING exchange. When we're out it'll be a joy and when we're home with the boys it'll be a joy.

Michael said...

Given Nat's training, I was slightly optimistic I would have seen Houston in that list. In your situation, it probably wouldn't be at the top of my list either.

Although we have learned, over the course of six years, to make it a charming place too. I think that's the answer--you make the best decision you can, then you make the place where you land all your own. You guys seem to do that pretty well.

Good luck. As I see people who, due to the economy, have been forced to leave, or alternatively, forced to stay, I think having any options at all is a really good problem to have.

Rachel C. said...

Why don't you come live with us. Then you get one more year in Madison and you won't have to make any decisions because we will all go wherever Ben gets a job!

Of course, that idea probably makes all of your difficult decisions more appealing. :)

Emily said...

Oh, Carrie. When we live away from family and we're on the brink of these big decisions, it's almost overwhelming, all the different directions we feel tugs from. Loving where we currently live, yet wanting something different at the same time. I have no answers for you because I feel like we're almost in that same place. But you and Nat will do what's best for your family, and you'll feel that guidance when you need it. Love you muchly!

alexandra said...

It really is so hard to decide these things. I think about it almost every day. There are so many wonderful aspects of different places and it is hard to know how much worth each attribute will continue to hold in the future.

Ashley and Caleb said...

Ummm...this isn't hard at all- we're all buying houses on the same land, remember? We're all moving to a semi-rural place to start our family garden and let our children run wild together. With a restored summer home in Nauvoo. There. Decision made. But seriously, Carrie, I know how you feel. But this is such a good problem to have, in my opinion. You have too many people you love and who love you. (If it's possible to have too many people to love.) You have too many good career paths in front of you. You'll do too well wherever you go. There's nothing you can't handle. I love you and just know that we're family forever. Even if you're in New Zeland.

Ammieloris said...

I love that picture. Luke is a "grown" little boy.

Yes, it is hard to decide, especially when you are blessed with options. Good luck choosing.