Thursday, January 28, 2010

Noah, right now

Anyone who has mothered little boys could look at the above picture and know instantly which sound is coming out of Noah's mouth. It's that car/spaceship/motorcycle noise that all little boys instinctively make when they pick up and play with anything that moves.

I thought that it captured, in some small way, the stage that we are enjoying with Noah lately. He is full of imagination, life, a strong will, and adoration for all his family members. I wanted to sit down and record a few details and vignettes about life with my Noah. It might, at some future date, allow me to recall some details about this loving little boy.

Noah at 39 months (or 3 1/4 years, if you choose Luke's method of calculation):
  • is terribly persistent. He is determined to get answers to all his questions. I try to be as nurturing and responsive to this aspect of him as I can be. It is a characteristic that will serve him well. It does, however, prove trying to come up with responses to all the why questions he poses and repeats, ad nauseum.
  • is unendingly loyal to his big brother Luke, regardless of how many times Luke kicks him out of the "Ninja club". (The Ninja club could be a blog post of its own but, in short, it is this highly organized game/club that Luke [the Ninja club secretary] plays with his friends at recess and uses to manipulate Noah into doing whatever he wants.)
  • misuses possessive pronouns. It is "she's" house instead of her house. He always says "mine" instead of my. I find it far too endearing to correct him. Luke, who never really had any language quirks of his own, corrects him freely.
  • also uses the word "who" as his interrogative of choice. As in, "who's that thing called".
  • is very literal. He was naked from the waist down the other day and sat down on his car. I told him that he needed to get up and put his underpants on because we can't sit on things with a bare bottom. "But mom," he replied, "I want to be like a bear".
  • uses "shut up" and "stupid" out of context and whenever he gets really mad. He thinks that these two phrases are the absolute worst things in the world.
  • is enthusiastic about EVERYTHING.
  • makes us all laugh with his world view. He and Luke were watching the Mr. Rogers construction paper factory tour over and over again the other day. There is a scene where they are adding the dye to the paper pulp and mixing it with steamy water. I remarked that the water looked really hot and Luke added that we "definitely" shouldn't drink that water. Noah agreed and said, "and it has dye in it so you would die!"
  • is quick to give Luke a pep talk whenever needed. He always tacks the phrase "because you're mine best friend" onto his encouragements.
  • shares constantly. I have to be careful what snacks I allow Noah because he unfailingly gives Isaac bites of whatever he is enjoying. Isaac had both peanut butter and honey long before he should have because Noah claimed that, "he wanted some". He never gets a treat without asking for one for his brothers too.
  • is very observant and talks constantly about his observations.
  • seems to be, after several false starts, finally potty trained. He was much harder than Luke in a lot of ways but I am finding the little ways that his personality makes even this easier. He will wander in and figure out how to get his pants down and take care of his business without me even knowing. Luke potty trained earlier but was never this independent about it.
  • has a mind of his own. This is gratifying to watch and wonderful most of the time. There are, however, a few moments in each day that I find my blood starting to boil. I have to take a step back and figure out how to work with rather than do to this independent little man. It's always worth the effort though sometimes it is a struggle to find the energy and creativity.
  • glows when his efforts and achievements are recognized.
  • is a funny little blend of social and shy. I wouldn't call him outgoing but he loves other kids and gets along well with his peers. He is, however, cautious about new situations and unknown people.
  • knows all his letter and their sounds. I painstakingly taught Luke the alphabet and the sounds of each letter. Noah somehow learned all by himself.
  • still claims the elephant as his favorite animal though he loves unicorns as well.
This little boy has stolen my heart in so many ways.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

What a sweet post, Care. I love that little Noah. He's growing into such a fun boy.

stacyross said...

Love this post, Carrie (and the accompanying pictures). What a sweet little guy you've got in Noah. Your observations about your boys always make me so excited to watch my own boys grow!