Thursday, March 18, 2010

Almost there...

About a month ago I was on the phone with Nat while he was at work when he casually mentioned that he was in the process of buying plane tickets for a conference in Portland. This was news to me and meant that he would be gone two entire weeks in about a month's time. Oh the weeping and wailing that ensued! I looked at plane tickets to see if I could get Ashley out here and mourned the fact that my mom is stuck in San Diego. I just couldn't imagine what I was going to do without Nat. You see, I am pretty dependent on this husband of mine.

Then the trip to Chicago came and went without much fanfare. The boys were good, I wasn't that lonely and I still managed to get Luke to school, the house clean and the boys stayed relatively happy. There was a happy reunion where Isaac melted Nat's heart by shouting "Da Da" when Nat got into the car.

Here I sit at the end of his Portland trip in a clean house with all three children sleeping peacefully in their beds. It hasn't been nearly the struggle that I thought it was going to be. The kids are all at pretty good stages and we have, it appears, a nice little rhythm. Who knew I was capable of this?

That said, I will be glad to have my man back. I get into bed at night and feel his absence. I miss telling him about the cute/naughty/wild/funny things that the kids did that day. It's wonderful to have someone who cares as much about these funny little guys as I do.

Here's to another happy reunion!

2 comments:

Ashley and Caleb said...

Even though it was glorious to sleep in big bed by myself when I was at Mom's, I do miss the security of sleeping next to a semi-muscular man.

Ammieloris said...

Wow. Two weeks is so long! Jonathan was recently gone for two days, and like you, I thought it would be a miserable time for all of us. But Gideon was so happy and cuddly, and because I was emotionally ready to be present for him, I ended up enjoying his adorable little self. Amazing how it worked out!