Saturday, September 17, 2011

The beginning

I have had some really sweet moments lately with my boys as we talk about the upcoming arrival of our new baby (the real countdown begins as I will be 37 weeks on Monday). Isaac has been the most engaged through the discussions. As I was putting him down for his nap today he asked me to "tell the story 'bout when I was borned". I willingly obliged and was lost in the sweetness of the whole thing.

I choked up and tears spilled as I remembered sitting and holding him, as a tiny babe, and being overcome with the sense of how special he was to us and also to his Heavenly Father. With every child my sense of what an absolute privilege it is to create life is heightened. When I had Luke I knew it was wonderful and divine but this knowledge that I am performing a god-like task sinks deeper with every child. It feels especially significant as I watch the older ones develop their independence from me and make their own choices.

This period of anticipation before the baby comes is better each time as we contemplate the way that our family will change. It's amazing to watch the bigger boys grow into their new roles. I love the time leading up to giving birth as I remember each boy at the beginning and that incredible moment of meeting each other for the first time.

A miracle, indeed.

1 comment:

alexandra said...

I love this post. I am so excited for your 4th boy!