Monday, January 4, 2010

Year's End

We rang in the New Year with a wonderful visit from Doug and Barb. I bought the movie Bolt to watch on New Year's Eve. We were all enjoyed the movie and the kids have been pretending about super dogs non-stop. What is not shown here is our very small television that gets moved to different rooms of the house whenever we feel like watching a movie. It is sort of amazing that seven people were able to actually see the movie on its thirteen inch screen.

I fell asleep on the boys' floor at nine thirty. Nat and his parents, meanwhile worked on a puzzle and talked until midnight. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I can't remember my mother making it to midnight very often.

New Year's morning was churros and chocolate. It is a Spanish tradition to eat churros and chocolate on New Year's morning. Nat talks about doing it every year and this year he finally found recipes and spent the morning making a sizeable stack of churros and enough chocolate for dipping. It was delicious but is a breakfast that should probably only be consumed once a year. He also talks about roasting chestnuts every year. He usually gets around to buying them and then they sit in the fridge until March when I secretly throw them away. There are currently chestnuts in my fridge. Whether they will be roasted remains to be seen...

4 comments:

Emily said...

That looks wonderful! Once a year for sure. :)

Michael said...

The food item "churro" is often the punchline of an occasional joke between Jen and I. Like, if we're out and about somewhere and Jen is hungry, she might say "where can I get a churro?"--often in the most unlikely of scenarios. It works for me, anyway.

Carrie, not to be nosey, but are those pictures on your shelves gallery wraps? They look fantastic. Jen and I are always wondering how to incorporate more family pictures into our home decor. We've considered gallery wraps, but could never quite visualize how to do it. They look great whatever they are.

Thanks for sending a Christmas card. We didn't do one this year, so it's nothing personal.

Ashley and Caleb said...

Umm...recipe please??

p.s. All the Lee Donaldson children were asleep by 10:15 on New Year's Eve. It just isn't fun for me to stay up anymore when I know my toddler will be waking up at 7AM no matter what time I go to bed. Am I really that boring?

Bethany said...

Churros are so yummy!!! That is something from Spain that I do miss. What a great idea. I second the recipe request.