Friday, June 11, 2010

Award Ceremony

When I picked Luke up from school on Monday he was anxious that I open his take home folder, as it contained a surprise. As I pulled out the yellow piece of paper with his name on it he couldn't contain himself any longer and beamed, "Mom I am going to get an award! There is going to be a presentation. Can you come?" The paper indicated that there would be an end of the year awards ceremony and that Luke had been selected to receive the "Core Values Award". (His school focuses on the core values of respect, safety, responsibility and dedication and kids receive recognition [called "high flyers"] based on their adherence to these values.) When I read that he would get an award I thought that all the kids would be getting an award. I was happy that he was pleased with himself but didn't think that it was a big deal. When we got to the ceremony today I realized that there were only four kids from each class selected to receive any kind of award. As I watched him march up to get his award and then wait on the stage I felt, like I have felt so many times, what a gift this boy is to me. It is a privilege to watch him grow. Way to go, Luke!


8 comments:

Emily said...

Congratulations, Luke!

Ashley and Caleb said...

Hooray, Luke! He looks so cute up there.

Ashley and Caleb said...

Also, why is that little girl dressed as Scooby-Doo?

meg said...

I was wondering about the costume too. I love you, Luke and I'm proud of you too.

Nat said...

It was dress-up-as-your-favorite-character day.

barb said...

What a wonderful accomplishment! Congratulations, Luke - I am so proud of you!!

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

CONGRATS!!!! Yay Luke and your core values!

Patience said...

Congratulations to Luke!! And to parents that teach through example those core values!

I laughed at tableau of Scooby with her finger in her nose, the general chaos of a bunch of small children sitting on the floor in a gym, and Luke's wry charm. That one photo is the essence of elementary school assemblies. Love it!