Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Jungle Party

The night before he turned two Isaac had a jungle themed party. It was all pretty last minute, which is how things work in our lives right now. We invited the cousins, our dear friends from Madison, the Gunthers, and some of my Young Women from Madison. At the last minute we found out that the Paynes were going to be in town and they were able to come as well. We ended up with seventeen of kids total. It was such a happy representation of people from the different stages of our family. We've been blessed with dear, dear friends every step of the way. I just kept looking around and smiling as I watched my kids play with these wonderful friends. There are so many more that I wish were here as well.

The main (mane?) event of the party was a safari. Emily's kids brought all their jungle stuffed animals and hid them throughout the house. The kids all got to make a safari vest, a compass and a field journal to take on their safari. They drew pictures of the animals they found along the way. After the safari we ate, sang Happy Birthday, put on Jungle Book and let the kids run wild. I believe there was a lot of LEGO building, pretending and chatting. I am not really sure, however, because I have reached the blissful stage of parenting where the older two are responsible and take care of the younger one. I just sat around and visited with friends and family.












My sainted sister Emily spent two hours patiently painting kids into whatever they could come up with.




4 comments:

Mollie said...

We had such a good time, and we were so excited that we were able to be there just in time. Last minute? Your party throwing skills amaze me. I love when parties have just enough structure to keep it fun, and enough free play time that everyone seems to enjoy themselves the whole time. Can't wait to see you guys next time we're in Utah!

Ammieloris said...

Hooray! This is a smashing last minute party! :D The balloons are gorgeous.

Also, I LOVE seeing pics of my old friends from Madison, too!

dswillis said...

You are so creative.

Ashley and Caleb said...

I think my favorite part of the evening was when we were cleaning up after the party, we noticed that someone had eaten the majority of the candy off of the cupcakes. I blame Caleb.