Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My New Favorite Soup

This is a recipe I have been making at least once a week for the past couple of months. I got the recipe from my dear neighbor. I have brought it to no less than three new mamas lately. So easy and good. It was quite the topic of discussion in the comments of Jen's blog.

Chicken and Black Bean Soup:

Combine the following ingredients in a slow cooker:
4 cups chicken broth
1 lb chicken (I just put frozen chicken breasts right into the crock pot)
2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
2 cups of your favorite salsa
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 can corn (this is best added at the end-- the corn can get a little rubbery if cooked all day)

Cook on low 6-8 hours. Remove, shred and replace chicken.

Serve with fresh cilantro, cheese, sour cream, and avocado. I really can't say how much I enjoy ripe avocado in this soup. Most Mexican food is just a medium for avocado, in my book.

Variations:
  • Add a cup of rice to the mixture and a little more broth. This fleshes it out a little more and makes it more filling
  • I added some fresh green peppers to it the other night. I can't say it added a whole lot to the soup but it was good to use up the peppers and upped the nutritional factor.

1 comment:

Ashley and Caleb said...

This soup rocks. I think next time I will try it with rice. Yum!