I always feel a sense of dread once the Sunday afternoon session of General Conference starts. I love these two weekends a year. This last weekend was a particularly good one; with Doug, Barb and Courtney in town.
I love that two times a year my home becomes church. I love the spirit that fills my heart as we sing, along with the rest of the church, the hymns of Zion. I love watching my children pick up bits and pieces of the talks, with Luke declaring "We've read that scripture!".
Conference also marks the passage of time. April conference comes as the weather is changing and the kids always seem to be changing dramatically. These kids are honestly scaring me with their growth and development lately. Luke is practically grown up-- he has shot up in the past month, growing out of all his clothes. He has also really mellowed out in the past week or so. He sounds like a grown up.
Noah is showing an increasing awareness of his surroundings and is making huge efforts to make sense of the world. My days with him are filled with inquiries about where his dad and brother are, what time we are going to see which friend and what store we purchase all of life's necessities at. He's the one that I need to invest in right now. His independence is wonderful and just a little mysterious to me. I need to figure out how to connect with him at this stage right now. My old tricks are failing me and I am suspicious that it is because he is changing so much and doing it so quickly.
Isaac, oh Isaac (sigh) is saying words, signing words, throwing really funny tantrums and is just generally leaving all signs of infancy behind. He has also shot up in the last month and as I pulled out the next size up in clothing I realized that he is now wearing the size that Noah was when we moved here. Um, what happened to the baby? Where did the last two years go?
I feel overwhelmed and underprepared for the challenges of the next couple of months. We need to finish kindergarten, find a job, move, and keep our focus on these kiddos and their endless needs. But, if there is one thing that I took away from this weekend's spiritual feast it is this: be grateful, be patient, and the Lord provides. These are all lessons that I have learned in the past and I am now relying on those past experiences to carry me through.
Here's to the beginning of the next stage...
I love that two times a year my home becomes church. I love the spirit that fills my heart as we sing, along with the rest of the church, the hymns of Zion. I love watching my children pick up bits and pieces of the talks, with Luke declaring "We've read that scripture!".
Conference also marks the passage of time. April conference comes as the weather is changing and the kids always seem to be changing dramatically. These kids are honestly scaring me with their growth and development lately. Luke is practically grown up-- he has shot up in the past month, growing out of all his clothes. He has also really mellowed out in the past week or so. He sounds like a grown up.
Noah is showing an increasing awareness of his surroundings and is making huge efforts to make sense of the world. My days with him are filled with inquiries about where his dad and brother are, what time we are going to see which friend and what store we purchase all of life's necessities at. He's the one that I need to invest in right now. His independence is wonderful and just a little mysterious to me. I need to figure out how to connect with him at this stage right now. My old tricks are failing me and I am suspicious that it is because he is changing so much and doing it so quickly.
Isaac, oh Isaac (sigh) is saying words, signing words, throwing really funny tantrums and is just generally leaving all signs of infancy behind. He has also shot up in the last month and as I pulled out the next size up in clothing I realized that he is now wearing the size that Noah was when we moved here. Um, what happened to the baby? Where did the last two years go?
I feel overwhelmed and underprepared for the challenges of the next couple of months. We need to finish kindergarten, find a job, move, and keep our focus on these kiddos and their endless needs. But, if there is one thing that I took away from this weekend's spiritual feast it is this: be grateful, be patient, and the Lord provides. These are all lessons that I have learned in the past and I am now relying on those past experiences to carry me through.
Here's to the beginning of the next stage...
2 comments:
Hooray for a new computer so we can see pictures again. Love!! Hugs!!
Just when you get used to the stage you're in...they change it up on you...It's fun though, isn't it?
Post a Comment