Thursday, April 15, 2010

Today

I am about to complete six years of mothering boys and have come to understand that the gift of a worm from a little boy is the supreme expression of love. Thanks, Noah-- I love you too.

I should really be changing the laundry loads right now (I am washing Noah's sheets for the third time this week-- darn unreliable pull ups) or washing the breakfast dishes or, at the very least, be taking the garbage out. Instead I am relishing the silence that comes after the storm. I just laid Isaac down in his crib and told Noah to go look at books in my bed. He was contentedly reading Each Peach Pear Plum when I finished with Isaac and when I returned he was sleepily staring out the window. I am pretty sure that he is asleep now.

I spent the morning getting irritated at the boys for making messes and getting into things while I was trying to get the house in order. At quarter to eleven I admitted defeat and went outside with the boys and the camera. Sometimes (a lot of times) the camera is the cure to my grumpiness and restores my perspective. From behind the lens I can take note of the amazing colors, the length of Noah's lashes and Isaac's funny little scowl. It allows me to forget, momentarily, about the to-do list.

The forest behind our house has exploded this last week. I wish that I had taken a picture every day from the same spot. It is amazing to watch life take over in this spot. It is now green from the forest floor all the way up to the tallest tree.

We are still very much enjoying the blooms on the flowering plum in front of the house. The boys love to shake the limbs and enjoy snow. I have to say that I enjoy this type of April snow much more than other April snows I have endured.

The respite is over and I'd better get those sheets in the wash so that Noah has something to sleep on tonight. The good news is that I can now do it with a smile on my face with these images in my head.













4 comments:

barb said...

What darling pictures - no wonder they chased the grumpiness away!!

Tish Solomon said...

they're so lovely to look at! your boys and the blossoms... I love Spring:-)

meg said...

Love the one of Noah kissing Isaac on the cheek.

Ashley and Caleb said...

Good to know that a worm is a little boy's expression of love...